View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #206
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Look at Sigourney Weaver through the years, probably my favorite actress. I'd like to see the badass side of Pepper. I think Paltrow can pull that off in a humorous, but legitimate sort of way.
To be fair, Pepper Potts and Ellen Ripley are not the same character. I don't think we should make all women characters Ripley rip-offs just to avoid the damsels in distress cliche.

Besides, the damsel in distress cliche doesn't have to be viewed as demeaning. It is if it just turns the woman into a helpless plot object. But if used correctly, it can create drama, suspense, and a real threat to something our hero loves (which in this case is a beloved woman because our hero is, of course, a man). In some sense it is simply a result of the fact that most comic book superheroes are men. Maybe you don't like that fact, but its a difficult fact to change in a movie called Iron MAN 3.

The real issue is whether a woman is turned by the story into a simple object rather than a real believable person. If she is a real, believable, strong character, then I have no problem with her being in danger and being saved - it happens to every hero in a sense, and it doesn't negate her strength. If she's not, and she's just a plot device or object, then yeah, I find that demeaning personally.

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote