View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #993
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Here's the thing, though: Cap gets the girl who is actually superheroine (or at least action heroine) material. Betty Ross, Pepper Potts and Jane Foster might all be lovely award-winning actresses, but they're just damsels in distress. Cap's girl gets to go on missions and kick ass right there alongside him; and I believe Vancamp is in it for the long haul. Marvel tends to hire TV stars for their recurring lead roles, as oppposed to bigger film stars for the supporting and villain roles. That says to me that she was hired for a multi-film contract.

Which also says to me that Sharon Carter isn't *necessarily* who she's playing. The suggestion has been made, not by me, but I think it's a card that still can be played: Vancamp might be Carol Danvers.
Jane wasn't damselled once in Thor, I worry about Thor 2 though. Also, being an everywoman character doesn't make the character bad, just like giving a character a gun or a sword doesn't make one good.

Avengers was the biggest non-Cameron film ever. I doubt Van Camp was the highest calibre actress knocking on their door. Perhaps they are sacrificing something for an actress' availability.