View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #809
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The President Obama Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Il be the first to admit, I live in a non union state, I dont know the inner workings of unions, and what little I do know comes from the news, people I know who have worked in unions, and info I glean from other info here and there. What Ive seen is that Unions did a lot of good in their early days, and effected change good and bad. What I see today is that they seem to be getting in the way of progress and the cons outweigh the pros.

Anyone with more knowledge feel free to correct or inform me.
They did an ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF GOOD IN THE EARLY DAYS.....and you really have to separate the two types of unions. Private unions, still do quite a bit of good for their employees, I don't necessarily begrudge them too much....the auto industry has had some problems with these unbelievable retirement packages that have helped bankrupt a couple of them....but for the most part they are pretty good. It is the public sector unions, teachers unions, other government based unions that are, IMO, EXTREMELY CORRUPT today, and have far more power in politics than most of the special interest groups that people on here bellow about so much.