View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #810
Holiday
'Bout that action

Default Re: The President Obama Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
While fast food may be intended for teens and young people I can assure you it is equally filled with middle aged people who dont have the education or ability to compete in the higher job market.
Whose responsibility is that though? It's up to the individual person to develop their own skills to make it in the job market. What kind of sense does it make for a middle-aged person with the same skills as your typical high school student to get paid as much as someone has learned a trade?

Quote:
And even while living with parents minimum wages at fast food wasnt coming close to covering my bills and weekly necessitates. I cant even imagine what I would have done without any support from the parents. The fact is these minimum wage jobs that screw with your hours so you dont get 40 a week just arent worth a damn anymore to anyone. Yeah maybe highschool students who want some spending money, but any person over 18 isnt going to make it far on a single minimum wage job.

And I agree with you on the banks. Our problems are being caused by multiple factors from the top down.
You say they are not worth a damn anymore and I can agree to an extent because the cost of living is rising thanks to inflation but wages are not catching up. That said, I've been working my job for a year now making 8 an hour, anywhere from 13 to 40 hours a week, and I'm definitely thankful to have it. I share a nice two bedroom apartment with one roommate, have internet access, plenty to eat without resorting to food stamps, and I payed off a thousand dollar debt I owed while still saving some money. I've learned how to manage money pretty well I think. I would like to know how many of the full-time, minimum wagers you mentioned earlier live within their means. I'd bet a lot of them, like most Americans, don't.