View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Do you think Fox will/should make a Silver Surfer film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
What evidence do you have that they "realize" their mistakes? Hiring loud mouth, Captain Extreme Mark Millar? Creating their own mini-MCU?

I'd prefer to look at their track record to judge their future. They have made 9 Marvel films:
X-Men
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: First Class
Daredevil
Elektra
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Of those 9 films how many are good? Only 3! 33%. That's not much of a track record. That's not much room for optimism.
Did you overlook that part where I said that the Tom Rothman era is over? Rothman was a first-class moron and a douchebag, and had no clue how to make superhero movies. He's gone now.

XMFC was widely praised by critics and fanboys alike; DOFP brings Singer back with plans to return to what made the X-Franchise so popular in the first place; the new Wolverine movie seems to be better thought-out than the all-over-the-place schlock of XMOW; and the hiring of Millar, whether you like him or not, means that they're serious about consulting a Marvel veteran to align their universe with something actually resembling the comic books. Hell, Millar is even the loudest voice for trying to merge the different studio franchises into the MCU --- if not with actual cameos and crossovers, then at least with easter eggs that illustrate the shared Marvel universe we all know and love.

Hey, I love Marvel Studios, and I'd love to see them get all their properties back. What I DON'T love --- not even remotely -- is "two movies per year." If MS got back ALL their properties tomorrow, then the VAST majority of Marvel's biggest franchises would wind up gathering dust, ne'er to be seen again by mortal man on the big screen. Outsourcing keeps big franchises like Spider-Man, the X-Universe, and Fantastic Four solvent.

There's plenty of room to be optimistic about Fox and Sony handling the other franchises.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote