View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 AM   #666
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Great post.

As for Batman Begins I think that's pretty much the point. There's a certain amount of naivety in Wayne's mentality when setting up the Batman persona in Begins. That bit is carried on through TDK and we see the mass repercussions of both his actions as Wayne and Batman unfold onto almost every single person in Gotham whether they be the most prominent players (Dent, Gordon, Dawes, and The Joker) or just some petty drug dealers fearing the Bat signal.

It's quite amazing actually.
I also find it quite mature for TDK and TDKR to carry the ramifications of the storyline before it in such an affecting manner. It's really about consequences. Well, among other things obviously, but the focus on consequences is so very different from other superhero movies. Note that the lie about Dent doesn't actually affect the plot in TDKR directly. Bane and Talia would have went ahead regardless, and finding out about it is just icing on the cake. But it affects the plot indirectly because it causes Gordon to make rash decisions in his paranoia. The guilt has affected him, and not in a good way. Same with Bruce.

The trilogy asks, what if Bruce gets his wish and becomes a successful superhero vigilante? What does that mean for society? What does it mean for people who support Batman? What does that mean for him? None come out unscathed, because there's always a price for having so much power and responsibility.