View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #692
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
You are forgiven.

But I certainly think part of why Bruce was depressed was the weight of the guilt from all the escalation, mayhem, death, etc. that he feels he caused from being Batman and provoking criminals.

It was too much for him, yet at the same time not being Batman meant that Bruce didn't have anything really driving him. The guilt became heavier and heavier. He was lonely. He felt like a failure. Eventually he hit absolute rock bottom.

This is what makes me appreciate Nolan's trilogy so much. The focus was always on Bruce's personal, emotional journey. That's one of the primary reasons why I love TDKR so much. It hit all the right emotional notes for me.
Yeah, I think part of the idea is that when Bruce is left with no way to be productive and fight his demons, he's forced into a corner with all these unresolved issues eating him up inside. I think that's why a lot of people mistakenly believed he quit simply because he was sad about Rachel.

It's kind of interesting, cause Bruce has been known to brood a lot in the comics (in the Burton films as well), but the Nolan films never depicted him as someone who would ever really take the time to brood, cause he was always keeping vigilante and furthering his mission. But when he's rendered useless, he's left with all the time in the world to slide into an extremely broody, depressed state. Hence the reclusive, bedroom archer we see at the beginning of TDKR. Bruce Wayne didn't let himself go simply because his energy project failed. Everything finally caught up with him.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158