View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #889
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I don't think we're going to agree if we can't agree on facts. Half is not pushing it. Not anymore. Maybe 20 years ago, they were a minority, but they are on their way to being a majority. I wish I was wrong.

The Republican Party is increasingly becoming a regional party, dominated by Southerners, who are mostly Evangelicals. God and guns, etc. Just read their platform, I believe God is mentioned a dozen times (in the Texas platform it's two dozen times). In most countries they would be considered a religious party.
At the Presidential level you may have a point at the regionalization of the Republican Party, but you completely ignore the fact that Republicans are doing quite well at the state levels where they hold the majority of governorships and legislatures, even in states like Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

You are overexaggerating on the evangelical wing of the party. Most people I associate with are Republicans, the vast majority of them are not evangelicals. As a matter in fact, the GOP is actually quite diverse ideologically, far more so than the Democrats. Now I know plenty of evangelical Republicans, to say that they're irrelevant is well....wrong. But to say that they're the majority is blatantly false.