View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #107
BenKenobi
Banned User

Default Re: Stand Alone & Spin-Off Star Wars movies...what would you like to see get made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Lucas has always been a ********ter. He says how he would have gone in a different direction and yet he often mined the EU for material like how he used Coruscant, Darth Vader being C-3PO's creator, double-bladed lightsabers, etc.
Lucas has been known to display this quality, however treatments for these movies do pre-date EU. Gary Kurtz has spoken about them on several occasions. Yes they did also involve a very different Return of the Jedi, but they still probably were very different.

Courcesant was based off Ralph McQuirrie's art work for the Imperial Captial Haad Abadon, just renamed, and Double Bladed lightsabers are just a concept. It's not like they said Darth Maul is using Exar Kunns lightsaber or anything. I wasn't aware there was EU material stating Vader built 3P0 though so, touché.

Anyway I agree they'll definately use the EU for inspiration, it'd be almost impossible not to. However I can see them taking more than just elements and paying homage, allowing the EU to coexist in it's own universe. I agree the Thrawn Trillogy could be backstory, but I can't see any of Han and Leia's kids or Mara Jade being in it.

A lot of the EU was bogged down by Lucas' harsh rules for what could and couldn't go. Many adaptions of works where the original author is still alive suffer from the same problem, and though it may hinder some of the stories I agree it's a right they should have. Let's face it Lumiya, Darth Caedus, Darth Krayt, etc weren't as good villains as Darth Vader, Darth Maul, or the Emperor. The new films have chance to create better stronger characters and a better stronger continuity where Luke isn't Chuck Norris, and I say they should go for it.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote