View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #96
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: "Romeo & Juliet Return?": The Official Jean Grey/Cyclops Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I don't think Origins was a big disappointment when it comes to box-office. The movie was leaked in the internet before it opened in the theaters and still did well over-all. I don't think people expected it to perform better than X3 and X2, like hello its a spin-off movie. FOX got their budget back just with the domestic box-office numbers. If Origins was a big disappointment then what do you say about the box-office performance of Captain America: the First Avenger and X-Men: First Class.
I think it would've done better if it got better than 38% rotten ratings on RT. Yes, the leak may have affected it, but word of mouth is what killed it overall. It got bad reviews.

As far as Captain America is concerned--he wasn't anywhere near the popularity of Wolverine as he didn't benefit from 10 years of pre-exposure in ensemble films. CA got better reviews too. So with that considered, he actually out performed Wolverine overall, when you think about it.

First Class was critically a great film. But its Box Office was disappointing--again considering the huge build up of three mega-films preceding it. But then again, it didn't feature any big name stars (at the time) or the most popular X-Men characters as leads, so...it's not surprising it underperformed also. I read that it actually grossed less than 2000's X-Men film and that's even taking inflation into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthenerds View Post
The X-Men perform better financially with Wolverine, and Wolverine performs better financially with the X-Men.
Exactly. If FOX was expecting XOW to be their Iron Man break-out...it didn't happen.