View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #99
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Default Re: "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
To those who complain about origin stories using up time and getting in the way, I offer an easy(ish) solution: don't have a separate origin, followed by adventure. Have the origin story *be* the adventure. They fly on the experimental space ship, and get zapped, *on the way to somewhere* ( or arriving at somewhere inadvertantly ). They pass through the dimensional portal, get changed, *and land somewhere.* There is no "go home, try to be normal, get pulled into a life of adventure," because they were going out on an adventure to begin with.
I have no problem with the FF's origin being told - but that's been done already so move on.

BATMAN BEGINS worked because the origin had NOT been told before. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN suffered because that story had been told recently enough that it's seemed pointless and repetitive.

I for one do not need to see Reed and Ben meet in college to understand why they are life long friends. The idea of an FF movie wasting even more screen time with them without their powers - and thus NOT the Fantastic Four - seems like a sure way to kill it before it starts. THE X-MEN started with Professor X and company up and running, I see no reason why the FF can not do the same.

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote