View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #308
Mr. Dent

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Pure speculation at this point. Every time anybody is asked if the Rings have powers, they pretty much say "no." If the Rings *do* have any connection to Extremis, it's probably little more than hacking into Tony's Extremis armor, or activating the "virus" in one or more of Mandarin's henchmen. I wouldn't expect to see them shoot fireballs or ice bolts or such. Would be cool if they do, and more authentic to comic-book Mandarin, but I'm not betting on it at this point.
Since you don't want to buy into any kind of spoilers no matter how much they make sense or the context in which they were posted, there's probably not much point in me arguing this. But the rings would not just be hacking into Tony's armor or activating other Extremis soldiers. Those would be functions, but the key of Extremis is that it allows the user to remotely control any kind of tech based system. This mean Mandarin can essentially use weapons remotely with the rings. They wouldn't shoot out fire and ice, which would be lame in an Iron Man film, but they would do things just as effective in a cooler way that makes sense in an Iron Man film. And being authentic is not the key to making a good adaptation of a comic book villain. It's keeping the spirit of the villain that is the key. At its core the rings, and Mandarin himself, would retain the spirit of how they were portrayed in the comics.