View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #121
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
Gosforth Cross
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gosforth_Cross

The attack on the Viking Village in Thor 1 occurs in 965 AD. After this cross is estimated to have dated back to. Any myths the images on the cross would have had to happen well prior to this, to have these images added at all. Not that they couldnt completely ignore this in the MCU, just saying, the Vikings and their gods were around well before 965, and it seems like they would be pretty severely changing history to say that was not the case.

If the Asgardian's had a PR guy telling the Vikings what to write, needless to say Loki got seriously screwed in that deal. (literally) I'd almost like a joke about that in MCU, like "what the Hel have they been writing about me?! BAH! I will destroy them all!" Besides the fact that the Aesir/Asgardians, are not the nicest and most honorable of gods in the real mythology. So hardly stuff I'd think the Asgardians would want spread about them.

The obvious answer for things that appear to be discrepancies between Norse myth/history and the Asgardians of the MCU is that the films are an alternate universe/timeline from actual human history. The comic books already changed the myths and history to suit their own purposes. Now it's clear that the films have, as well. The history of the MCU diverges from actual history in many ways, simply because these are science fiction/comic book movies, not historically accurate ones.