View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #668
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
I actually think it's one of the reasons Vaughn left, not this paltry "uhh I have to make this mediocre comic a movie before anyone else steals this idea", or whatever the clearly-BS excuse was. I think he wanted to do a proper First Class sequel and then the studio stepped in and told him he had to make this giant blockbuster and bring in some old cast because AVENGERS.
I don't know if I agree with that. Vaughn wrote the treatment and the script and bailed out very very late in the process. He was already talking about making sequels set in 70s and 80s at the time First Class was released. There was already talk of the movie being more ambitious when he was still attached as the director. I can't imagine that the whole idea for the movie changed that radically after the script was already written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Paquin already has her Oscar and has not been idle.
You know who else has an Oscar? Marcia Gay Hayden. Who? Exactly. Winning an Oscar is not necessarily going to set your career on fire. Especially when you win it for a supporting role in a bleak Jane Campion movie when you were barely a teenager.

Quote:
I'd say they're more rising stars and for Jennifer Lawrence I think hers will be bonafide pending tonight's outcome at the Oscars. The buzz around her reminds me of Ellen Page's turn with Hard Candy.
Sorry, that's absolutely nowhere near close. You could maybe compare it with the buzz Lawrence had when she got nominated for Winter's Bone, which like Hard Candy was a small, acclaimed little-seen movie. Since then Lawrence headlined Hunger Games and Silver Linings Playbook is over $100M at the US box-office right now.

Quote:
Star power is star power. A household name is a household name. Patrick Stewart had done far more theater than Hugh Jackman going into 2000's X-Men. But I don't think even you would argue that he was the bigger star having led eight years of arguably the most popular Star Trek series ever.
Well, at the time Jackman's star meter was pretty much a zero so any reasonably known actor would have been a bigger star in comparison. But yeah Patrick Stewart was the bigger star... and still the lead went to this virtual unknown. Which goes back to my earlier point about studios surrounding lesser-known/new hot actors playing leads with older, respected, better-known actors.

Thing is, as revered Stewart and McKellen are, unless it's a Star Trek movie they're never really used to play genuinely leading roles in big blockbuster films. In X-Men they're respectively playing an old wise mentor type, and a villain.

And I'll certainly give you Jackman, big time. But I bet that if you went to a movie studio right now and proposed to either make a 1) a film with Fassbender, Lawrence and McAvoy as leads or 2) a film with Ashmore, Paquin and Page as leads, the studio heads will be on to option 1 before you even stopped naming option 2.

Quote:
Star power is star power.
If it really was, TV actors wouldn't struggle so much making it big in the movies. TV fame might make it easier to get roles, but actually becoming a movie star is a whole different game. You might be big on TV but that will not necessarily make people shell out their money to go and watch you on the big screen.

And when you're mostly known for playing a specific character on a TV show, the baggage is even harder to shed. People often tend to love the character, not necessarily the actor playing them.

Quote:
Let's be very honest here: the biggest star of this franchise is Hugh Jackman--not Fassbender, McAvoy, or Lawrence. They are all newbies to this franchise. Talented? Yes. But newbies. And I strongly believe they may take a back-seat a bit for the return of the Original Actors. Now what do the facts show?

1.) FOX has consistently proven for over a decade now that their main focus will always be Wolverine featuring The X-Men. He has two solo films, two origin films, etc. They even inserted him as a cameo in FC for no reason.

2.) Do you honestly believe that things will suddenly change with this original trilogy member--and the franchise's main face--taking top billing in this film? If Storm, Cyclops, Jean, Xavier--hell everyone else--can take a backseat to Logan in the original trilogy films WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN DAYS OF FUTURE PAST?
I don't remember hearing anything about Jackman taking the top billing in this film.

But yes, certainly no one can argue that Hugh Jackman is the biggest star of the franchise, and it's certainly possible that the First Classers might take a backseat to him. However, why does the popularity of Wolverine make it a given that the First Class actors will also take a backseat to the rest of the original cast? There's a tendency on this forum sometimes to roll the rest of the cast together with Wolverine as if they're somehow one and the same, and Wolverine's popularity somehow spreads onto the other characters as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
I Mrs Vimes, in case you couldn't tell that is a reference to you. Absolutely love your well thought out points even if I don't agree with them.
Thanks I do believe in a civil discussion.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 02-25-2013 at 04:55 AM.