View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #718
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
In hindsight, I would have loved to see Bruce actually need to be Batman in a personal sense. It's set up pretty well in Begins, but in following films he's clearly just looking for a way out the whole time.

Bruce Wayne is a man driven to fight crime because of his past, and to me has an obsession with justice that borders on madness. It strikes me as pretty out of character that Bruce threw in the towel after Rachel died. It would have been more compelling that Batman continued to fight the good fight for 8 years with increasing police interference. The way it is in TDKR, Bruce comes off as a quitter, and is only lured back into the cape after he himself is robbed.

There is plenty of stupid ***** in TDKR, but the above really gets under my skin because it harms the title character. I'm not even saying what is presented is unrealistic, but in a film like this you need your hero to be pro-active or they'll become unsympathetic.
He didn't quit because of Rachel, and he couldn't continue the fight for 8 years because there was nothing to fight against. This Batman was more about organized crime than the small timers because that's where it begins. That's the root of the problem. There was no organized crime to fight against in the 8 years.