View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #62
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Default Re: Share your wildest dreams for the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
I know it will never happen, but I would like to see a Hulk movie.

It's crazy...I know. They only make Banner movies because the actor they hire has to be the "star" and dominate the narrative...but I thought it would be nice to not bore the crap out of the audience with one of the dullest characters in the Marvel universe for a change. How about making the title character the star of the movie? And of course they might want to let the guy actually talk too. Maybe the Hulk having an actual personality wouldn't hurt?
Are you saying Iron Man is really a Tony Stark movie? And Captain America was a Steve Rogers movie? Because Iron Man and Captain America both had as much screen time in their own movies as Hulk did in his. The problem with Hulk movies isn't the amount of time Banner is on screen, the problem is that Hulk is never given anything interesting to do other than fight.

Also, you don't have to talk (or talk a lot) to have personality. Hulk in the Avengers had plenty of personality. Caesar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes did as well. I guarantee a movie with a chatty Hulk would not go over well at all with the general audience. Not unless the dialogue is extremely carefully written. CGI characters who talk don't have a good history. Gollum, Dobby and Yoda are rare exceptions, and only because they have speech patterns and voices that make it easier to accept creatures like them talking as much as they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
Eh...It'll never happen. They'll make another Banner movie at some point with Ruffalo and wonder why the audience is bored to tears again. "What happened? They loved the Hulk in Avengers?" Yeah...guys...that's because you had Thor, Capt America, and Iron Man in the room to keep Banner from putting everyone to sleep and giving us something when the mute Hulk is just staring at people.
That is not the reason people loved Hulk in The Avengers at all, that's the reason you made up in your head to make sense of why people loved a portrayal that you didn't.

The actual reasons they loved him so much is because one, Banner actually WAS an interesting character in this movie thanks to Joss Whedon's writing. Don't believe me? Read any review, Mark Ruffalo was one of the most praised performances in the film. Two, because the CGI was much more well done in this movie than any previous Hulk. Hulk was actually believably there and everything he did in the movie felt very real. Three, because Hulk had a lot more personality than ever before in live action and had a lot of interesting interactions with different characters.

Don't think I'm dismissing your post, I would definitely love to see a more Hulk centered Hulk movie in the future, but I don't agree with a lot of what you said. There are many different ways to look at Hulk in film. Your vision is just one of many.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote