View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #39
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: Favorite Spider-Man film so far.

Spider-Man 2 is at the pinnacle of superhero films, as far as I am concerned. Peter Parker was perfectly portrayed, his arc in the movie mirroring that in the comics. He has always been the hard-luck hero who constantly battled not only villains but his own personal problems, and in SM2 this formula was followed to a T. Peter's relationship with Aunt May was handled very well, and I loved that they had him confess to letting Uncle Ben's killer escape. The ending was hopeful but realistically downbeat. Peter and Mary Jane finally ended up together, but his responsibilities as Spider-Man would always call him away. It was, in a word, perfect.

Spider-Man only comes in second for me because it had so much to do as an origin story that it didn't hit the emotional depths that Spider-Man 2 was able to plumb. The interplay between Peter/Spider-Man and Willem Dafoe's Norman Osborn/Green Goblin was one of the great hero - villain face-offs, however. The writers got their dynamic just right, with Osborn as yearning to be a father figure to a young man he thought was better in every way than his underachieving son. This also gave emotional depth to Harry's pain and made the ultimate confrontation between Peter and Norman all the more powerful.

The Amazing Spider-Man is so low in my regard that I almost left it off the list entirely. The nearly 30-year-old Garfield is hideously miscast as a 16-year-old Peter Parker and it only gets worse from there. Every time I saw him around teenagers, he gave off a slightly pervy vibe because he's so obviously much older. Many have praised the film for putting a lot of wisecracks in Parker's mouth, but Garfield's acting makes the character seem more jerkass than wiseass. I won't even start on the dreadful snoutless CGI Lizard.

Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3

-
-
-
-
-
-
TASM

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote