View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #96
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: MCU Phase 2 Box Office/Budget Prediction Thread

Again, Watchmen is an extremely poor comparison to this. Not to mention there's not a whole lot to not get...it's a space adventure with a team of rag tag heroes. If people can get Star Wars and Star Trek they can get Guardians.

I'm very high on Guardians potential gross but low on Ant-Man because I don't see what type of angle or story they can approach it from to make it stand out and give it as much potential. I have as much faith in Guardians as I do because of not only the great oppurtunity for amazing spectacle and several likable characters but because of how crazy the story can be, in a good way. If they can bring in stuff like the Universal Church of Truth and Magus, you're looking at a crazy ass story that has Thanos as a potential protagonist/anti-hero for most of the film. And they have the perfect guy in Gunn adapting that crazy story.

Ant-Man, on the other hand, is pretty effing boring. You have either Hank Pym or Scott Lang to choose from, neither of which are particularly likable characters. They're not bad, but they just don't stand out like a Tony Stark, Thor, Star Lord, Rocket Raccoon, Thanos, etc. Then none of his villains are even memorable...and tbh he doesn't really have villains of his own. The most he's contributed to the Marvel U is creating Ultron. And of course the spectacle doesn't have near the potential of a Guardians film.

I'm sure Edgar Wright will deliver an entertaining and humorous story about Ant-Man's origin and it will work as a film in its own right, I just don't see it being in the same league as Guardians or even Captain America. $350-370m is all I can see, which is very respectable on a $120m budget.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote