Thread: Superman Lives!
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #234
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Superman Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Or any number of comic runs from the Silver and Bronze ages - including goofy stuff like Mr. Mxyzptlk, a menagerie of super pets or the Superman’s Pal and Girlfriend titles.
Mister Mxyztplk was hilarious in the Golden Age and Silver Age, and I love the Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen run by Jack Kirby from the Bronze Age!

Quote:
Though I greatly admire the DK trilogy, I thought the level of “realism” in IM, Thor and Avengers was just fine. So we’re talking relative “realism” - distinguished from, say, the decidedly campy/silly approach of the Reeve movies
This I agree with. While I'm glad that Superman's sense of humor was present in Superman: The Movie, it and the sequels were also needlessly campy with bumbling buffoon Clark, Lex and Otis, etc.

Quote:
(or, for that matter, the Lives screenplay).
Which screenplay? There are many Superman Reborn/Lives screenplays. There's the Mark Jones and Cary Bates screenplay, the Jonathan Lemkin screenplay, the Gregory Poirier screenplay, the Kevin Smith screenplay, the second Kevin Smith screenplay, the Wesley Strick screenplay, the Dan Gilroy screenplay, the second Dan Gilroy screenplay, the William Wisher screenplay.

Quote:
Again, it’s a question of what strikes the modern audience as plausible (given the genre conceits). The first time someone shoots at our hero, Supes (himself) might not be certain if he can withstand the volley. Not really a lighthearted moment. Subsequently, Supes will be more assured - but the bad guys (presumably) still have the full intention of murdering a human being (otherwise, it’s a pointless waste of bullets). So, still not a credible time to inject comedy.
Whats with the "cutesy" nickname? The characters name is Superman, not Supes or Supie. You'd rather he be stone-faced, without smiles, smirks, no wisecracks, no signs of his sense of humor, no fun. Frankly, that makes the character duller, more sterile than he was intended to be, much less fun and entertaining, like the sad version in Superman Returns. The end result is too many people today think Superman is a boring character. If Iron Man can show a sense of humor and wisecrack, so can Superman.

Quote:
My own digressions have been relatively concise compared to yours.
That's been due to posters, such as yourself, messaging me about other Superman film projects and comics, and I answered, along with a friendly reminder to trying not to deviate off the topic of the thread.

Quote:
That’s not a complaint; as others have mentioned, your posts are interesting.
Thanks.

Quote:
Regarding the Superman Lives screenplay, I thought it was amateurishly bad.
Which screenplay? There are many Superman Reborn/Lives screenplays. There's the Mark Jones and Cary Bates screenplay, the Jonathan Lemkin screenplay, the Gregory Poirier screenplay, the Kevin Smith screenplay, the second Kevin Smith screenplay, the Wesley Strick screenplay, the Dan Gilroy screenplay, the second Dan Gilroy screenplay, the William Wisher screenplay.

Quote:
Abrams’ 2nd draft of Flyby, though it had issues, was better by miles.
Better than what? There are many Superman Reborn/Lives screenplays.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package.

FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 03-01-2013 at 07:44 AM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote