View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #458
OutRiddled
Banned User

Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
You know how many comics they've made with Joker in it alone? He's been around since 1940. You could come up with so many different interpretations based on that long history. At his essence he is just another 'gimmick' villain - like all Batman villains started out as. Some peculiar trademark to set them apart from ordinary mobsters or regular villains. Only after decades of development did he obtain all the complexities to his character many people know of today.

With Nicholson, I could tell the main influence was the original 1940 comic (Batman #1), which was Joker's first appearance. And pretty much everything else followed from that.

Quote:
After spending half the movie stalking her like some love sick weirdo. Not the Joker's style at all. He doesn't just become infatuated with random women like that.
It doesn't really matter, though. Every Batman movie has a damsel in distress, that the villain puts in danger so Batman has to rescue. Vicki's purpose was to string together the narrative, because after all, this is a movie not a comic book.

Quote:
Yeah ok. Great comeback. I've never known the Joker to give two hoots about art work that much or consider himself to be an artist of any kind.
Well he only mentions that in the museum, after killing everyone there and defacing all the artwork, so I assume it was all a sick joke to him.

Quote:
It matters to me. It really altered the nature of the Batman/Joker dynamic because when they finally come face to face it's just Batman beating up Joker for killing his parents. That's not like any Batman and Joker feud I've ever read. I heard it annoyed a lot of Batman fans back then, too. Even Sam Hamm, the writer of the movie, disliked it:

"Many observed that Burton was more interested in the Joker rather than Batman in terms of characterization and screen time. Comic book fans reacted negatively over the Joker murdering Thomas and Martha Wayne. In the comic book, Joe Chill is responsible. Writer Sam Hamm, who is a comic book fan, said it was Burton's idea to have the Joker murder Wayne's parents. "The Writer's Strike was going on," Hamm continued, "and Tim had the other writers do that. I also hold innocent to Alfred letting Vicki Vale into the Batcave," he reasoned. "Fans were ticked off with that, and I agree. That would have been Alfred's last day of employment at Wayne Manor."

http://destinyosbourne.hubpages.com/hub/the-batman
It's all grand guignol, you don't have to take it literally. You notice the flashback scene was shot almost like a dream or nightmare. It has a supernatural element to it. Because it was Bruce Wayne trying to remember the events, not an actual literal interpretation of what happened. It's all rooted in the psychological, unlike Nolan's version which has to be rooted in realism.

Quote:
You mean Bob Kane the plagiarist who stole all the creative credit from Bill Finger? The Bob Kane who thought Val Kilmer was the best Batman?
Everybody is probably a plagiarist in the creative industry. I don't really pay much attention to all of the politics.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote