View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #177
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
why would it be cheap and weird? I think there being an air of mystery about why they arent together would be fine, the awkward part where they see each other again for the first time, Han sarcastically greeting her; "princess" to me would feel very in character, these break ups have happened inbetween movies a plethora of times (just off the top of my head Die Hard and Speed, but Im sure it has happened even more times than that).
I see where you are coming from, because it makes sense that they would break up eventually. However, it would feel cheap because their ending together was very concrete in RotJ. It's an "And they lived happily ever after" type deal.

The other major problem with this is that this is not Han or Leia's story. An unecessary subplot about how they split up after Jedi would just get in the way of building momentum for the new story.

Quote:
A good reason? well i think being a bit of a loner suits Hans character quite well for starters, gives him a potential redemption story arc too, I could just as easily say I see no good reason for them to have remained together all this time, I just don't see why many believe them being together still is a foregone conclusion, people have multiple relationships in real life before finding their husband or wife - maybe Han messed up and looks to win Leia back after realising she is the love of his life, it can add layers to a character and give a sub story
Again, you bring up real life. In the context of Star Wars, a high space fantasy, building realistic romantic relationships is not that big of a deal.

Han Solo has already had his redemption arc. Setting him up as a loner again only regresses his character.

The original three (Han, Luke, Leia) aren't the main characters of the story anymore. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this if they were. But in my mind, Episode VII should be about building new characters, not re-examining old ones.