Thread: Superman Lives!
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #239
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Default Re: Superman Lives!

In terms of citing numerous comic book pages, issues or eras for precedent, I would think intention is a more fruitful guidepost for modern iterations. With a few exceptions, Superman (in the old days) was never presented as comedic or spoofy. Allowing for the fantastical context, the reader/audience was always supposed to take the character and his stories seriously. But what if, in the intervening years, certain aspects of execution have come to be regarded as dated, awkward or inadvertently humorous and corny? There’s no credit in slavishly replicating this. Indeed, it contravenes the original intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post
Which screenplay? There are many Superman Reborn/Lives screenplays. There's the Mark Jones and Cary Bates screenplay, the Jonathan Lemkin screenplay, the Gregory Poirier screenplay, the Kevin Smith screenplay, the second Kevin Smith screenplay, the Wesley Strick screenplay, the Dan Gilroy screenplay, the second Dan Gilroy screenplay, the William Wisher screenplay.
The Strick screenplay.

Quote:
Whats with the "cutesy" nickname? The characters name is Superman, not Supes or Supie.
Yes, it’s a nickname - and a fairly ubiquitous one at that (do a search on SHH and count the hits). If you’re campaigning against it, you’ve got a lot of work ahead of you.

Quote:
You'd rather he be stone-faced, without smiles, smirks, no wisecracks, no signs of his sense of humor, no fun. Frankly, that makes the character duller, more sterile than he was intended to be, much less fun and entertaining, like the sad version in Superman Returns. The end result is too many people today think Superman is a boring character. If Iron Man can show a sense of humor and wisecrack, so can Superman.
I prefer Supes as the strong, silent, Gary Cooper-ish type. In the right situation, smiles are fine. But wisecracking or making didactic speeches at the UN, etc. is undignified. And above all, I think of Superman as dignified.

Quote:
Which screenplay? There are many Superman Reborn/Lives screenplays. There's the Mark Jones and Cary Bates screenplay, the Jonathan Lemkin screenplay, the Gregory Poirier screenplay, the Kevin Smith screenplay, the second Kevin Smith screenplay, the Wesley Strick screenplay, the Dan Gilroy screenplay, the second Dan Gilroy screenplay, the William Wisher screenplay.
The Strick screenplay.

Quote:
Better than what? There are many Superman Reborn/Lives screenplays.
The Strick screenplay. The Smith one was pretty weak too - but as I recall, it had better dialogue. Clearly, both were hampered by the bizarre constraints imposed by Peters. I haven't read Gilroy.

Last edited by Dr.; 03-01-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote