View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #603
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
Avengers wouldn't have worked out as well without the separate films.

1. Introducing each character: Avengers consists of 6 different characters from 6 VERY different universes. In the amount of 2.5 hours they would literally have to explain why there is a WW2 veteran transported into the future, a Green giant monster, a man in a robot suit, a Demi-god, a russian spy and Samuel L. Jackson in an eye patch are somehow connected in the same universe because you know... those things are kind of hard to understand out of context.

2. Back stories. Each one of these odd characters would have needed a back story. They would have to establish who Tony Stark is, his personality, his background. Bruce Banner's origin, his powers, why he is a fugitive. Cap's origin, why a man from the 40s is in the present, how did that happen, and etc. etc. etc.

3. Establish a main story. The plot has to connect each character in some way.

4. Threat. Have some kind of threat or threats. The villain, again has to be connected somehow to each of the characters, those character's back stories, their separate universes, etc.

5. Character development. Each of the characters in addition to showing their back stories have to grow as characters and go through some kind of arc together.

If Joss Whedon would be able to pull all that off in a 2.5 hour movie. Then he would be a god.
Agreed. Most of those characters were already introduced before the Avengers movie was released. But for characters that didn't appear or star in their own movie, I don't think we got enough character development from them like Hawkeye.

I think if there was a solo movie for Storm, Jean Grey, Wolverine and Cyclops before X1, Bryan Singer would have probably given them an equal amount of screentime in the first X-Men team movie. But since it wasn't the case, Bryan Singer and writers had to focus on Wolverine, Rogue, Professor X and Magneto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
I just hope Singer retcons the adamantium bullet! That was the worst.
Why retcon it? To retell on why Wolverine's lost his memories.

Its already been done. No need to redo it.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/