Thread: Superman Lives!
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #247
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Superman Lives!

John Byrne even brought back Mister Mxyzptlk during his Superman run, with those Superman stories obviously intended to be comedic.

I'm not saying a Superman movie needs to have this much humor, unless it's a Superman movie featuring Mister Mxyzptlk, I'm just proving a point that Superman stories contained humor provided by Superman and other characters in the Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Yes, it’s a nickname - and a fairly ubiquitous one at that (do a search on SHH and count the hits). If you’re campaigning against it, you’ve got a lot of work ahead of you.
People are of course free to use it. I just don't care for it in reference to Superman. I find it a rather undignified nickname for the character.

Quote:
I prefer Supes as the strong, silent, Gary Cooper-ish type. In the right situation, smiles are fine.
You are of course free to prefer whatever soups you like, but there is no more "right" version of Superman than the original Golden Age version that was conceived and created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster in the first place, and that Superman was the lively, smiling, wisecracking Douglas Fairbanks type. Douglas Fairbanks was the influence on the creation of Superman's personality. The characters basic personality should be retained. Move too far away from that and then the character is no longer authentic.

Getting back to the topic of Superman Lives...

Quote:
The Strick screenplay. The Smith one was pretty weak too - but as I recall, it had better dialogue. Clearly, both were hampered by the bizarre constraints imposed by Peters. I haven't read Gilroy.
I've made it quite clear that I prefer the Strick script, so I obviously disagree with that view.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package?

FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 03-03-2013 at 07:14 PM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote