View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #776
RustyCage
Come what may..

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
You know, after watching TDK again recently, I really enjoyed Rachel's character. To be blunt, I honestly think a lot of people who were glad she died were basing that on not her being a "b**chy" character who rejects Bruce Wayne. And both versions of Rachel had that spunk and attitude. Remember when Katie's version completely condescended Bruce on his birthday? ("You enjoy your party Bruce, some of us have work to do.")

I remember when I saw TDK with my mom, she was completely sucker punched by Rachel's death, even asking me "She's not really dead, is she?" I think the bloodlust for Rachel was more of a fanboy thing.
Those I spoke with were basing it on that. And they weren't fanboys. I'm glad at least your mom experienced the desired effect.

What she said to Bruce on his birthday was pretty called-for, as far as anybody who didn't know he was Batman could tell. In Begins, she was more of a motherly figure - in her scolding, in her advice, and in her warmth. In TDK, she's more spiteful and prissy. I can't think of a redeeming or wise moment.

You could reason it's because she's having a hard time with Bruce's obsession, but it seems a bit hypocritical considering her last scene in Begins, and an immature step back for her character. I can't respect it.

Funny, as I wound up feeling the same way about Bruce at the beginning of Rises!