View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #777
JackWhite
Third Man

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
Those I spoke with were basing it on that. And they weren't fanboys. I'm glad at least your mom experienced the desired effect.

What she said to Bruce on his birthday was pretty called-for, as far as anybody who didn't know he was Batman could tell. In Begins, she was more of a motherly figure - in her scolding, in her advice, and in her warmth. In TDK, she's more spiteful and prissy. I can't think of a redeeming or wise moment.

You could reason it's because she's having a hard time with Bruce's obsession, but it seems a bit hypocritical considering her last scene in Begins, and an immature step back for her character. I can't respect it.

Funny, as I wound up feeling the same way about Bruce at the beginning of Rises!
I can see how you can't respect that, but I feel her eventual objection to Bruce's crusade was justified. If you subscribe to the belief that Bruce had been Batman for a few years after BB going into TDK, she was probably growing tired of Bruce's promise that in the end, Batman was just a symbol that he would eventually step away from once his mission was complete.

Think about the scene at Harvey's fundraiser when Bruce continues to reassure her of the time Gotham would no longer need Batman, and that it's coming. She simply replies with "Bruce. You can't ask me to wait for that." Even when Harvey asks her to marry him a few scenes later; she still can't give Harvey a straight answer because she still has hope that Bruce's mission will come to an end soon.

But of course Rachel comes to the conclusion that, yes, Gotham will one day no longer need Batman; but even then Bruce will still need to have that outlet in his life, even if he doesn't quite realize that just yet.

The growth of the Rachel character in that regard would have been even better had Holmes stayed on board. But hey, them's the breaks.