View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #64
RustyCage
Come what may..

Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
To be honest, the main reason I watch Returns is for Bruce / Selina's relationship. I never cared much for the Penguin stuff. Its Batman / Catwoman that keeps bringing me back.
I loved the Penguin's reinvention as a kid; thought it was sad and more exciting, and I sympathized with him because I was also kind of a social outcast - but more of a hermitty Keaton-Wayne kind of outcast, I guess. Not noisy like Oswald. I saw the two of them as kindred spirits in that way, wished they could hug it out.

Alas... some people are too far gone to reach - including maybe even Selina. Bruce couldn't save either of them, and wound up alone. That tore me up at a young age.

As I went into my teens, I wound up ignoring Returns' Penguin as a corny mistake. Just rewatched it because I was entranced by Bruce/Selina, like you. That's most of my draw to The Dark Knight Rises too. The best scenes are the scenes where Bruce and Selina are sort of courting, and quietly sensing each other's pain.

But over the last week or so, after watching Danny DeVito and Tim Burton talk about their motivation and what they wanted to portray in a Behind the Scenes special, and reading Penguin: Pain and Prejudice (5-issue book that came out a couple months ago that was way awesome), I'm developing an appreciation for the poetry of him again.

It's weird how the process of growing up can play tricks on your mind. At least my mind. lol

I've come full circle though, and love the Penguin now.