View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #258
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Superman Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfn View Post
the Thanagarian Snarebeast is now a Plutonian Gnawbeast
The Thanagarian Snare Beast wasn't rewritten by Wesley Strick into the Plutonian Gnaw Beast. They are two different creatures. The Plutonian Gnaw Beast creature is described as having a tongue, sharp teeth and a tail, and water burns it like Holy Water on a demon. The Thanagarian Snare Beast is a giant spider. They are both in the Wesley Strick script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Oh right cool, didn't know that

Btw Man-Bat totally agree with you on Plutonian Gnawbeast scene been a better Sueran reveal than Gilroy's. I'm assuming this is the artwork for that scene:

That might have been concept art for the Plutonian Gnaw Beast, fits the description in the Wesley Strick script, or that could have been concept art for a member of Brainiac's Beast Brigade. There is a ton of creatures in Wesley Strick's script that Tim Burton intended to film.

Quote:
Reading Stricks script now and I'm remembering why I hated it more and more as I read through it.
Yet, you say you like the opening scene on Krypton, you like the Superman vs. Plutonian Gnaw Beast scene in Wesley Strick's script.

Quote:
The opening on Krypton is pretty good, it sounds like a horror movie (whuch I thoughts
Gilroy's did but this one even more so) but I'm don't like Brainiacs dialogue it just doesn't read right to me. words like "and fetch my cape" and "Lexcorp here I come" made me cringe, but of course this could have worked better when its acted out.
Quote:
Oh yeah I know that about dialogue but it doesn't excuse how bad some of Brainiacs is in the script.
I don't agree that Brainiac's scripted dialogue such as "and fetch my cape" and "Lexcorp, here I come" is bad. Brainiac is a computer, but, like Hal-9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey, Brainiac clearly isn't devoid of emotions in the Mark Jones and Cary Bates script, the Kevin Smith scripts, the Wesley Strick script, the Dan Gilroy scripts and the William Wisher script, which can make a computer character more interesting.

Quote:
This goes for the Gilroy script too why not just call K the Eradicator? Such a pointless name change from Smith's script.
The Eradicator was created by Roger Stern in Action Comics Annual #2 (1989) as a device from Krypton corrupted by Kem-L with a mission to preserve Kryptonian culture by eradicating all others — and thus the device was named the "Eradicator." In the comics the Eradicator tried to transform Earth into a new Krypton and Superman into Krypton Man. Superman eventually had to break the Eradicator's programming, fights it and throws it into the Sun in the comics.

While the Eradicator name comes from the comics, it doesn't make sense for the character to be called that in the context of the Superman Lives scripts by Kevin Smith and Wesley Strick and Dan Gilroy, since the Kryptonian device created by Jor-El in the Superman Lives scripts is a peaceful protector of Kal-El, not trying to eradicate non-Kryponian cultures. So Wesley Strick gave him a much friendlier, more peaceful sounding name, as K.

Quote:
Also how did Clark know to go to the Arctic? The only (sort of) explanation we get is he looks like he's in a state of hypnosis and Clark says "you activated called me to you"
K telepathically lead Clark to the Fortress in the Artic in Wesley Strick's script.

Quote:
I can't believe Clark just says bye to K aswell it's so casual.
There is reasoning behind why he suddenly left K in Wesley Strick's script:

CLARK
If I'm in danger, then so is
Metropolis. So is Earth ...

K
That would follow.

Clark's first response is instinctive:

CLARK
Then I've got to get back --

CLARK (cont'd)
Nice to meet you, K ... Take care.

Quote:
Also people think Superman in Man of Steel looks somber but he's the same in this script. Well as Clark I'm 26 pages in so far and he hasn't turned into Superman once.
We haven't seen the Snyder/Cavill Superman/Clark even smile in the trailers or promotional pictures of Man of Steel. The Wesley Strick script says Tim Burton's Superman Lives Clark actually smiles. And while talking to K the script says Clark tries to make light of the situation. As Superman walks with Lois Lane a little girl asks...

LITTLE GIRL
C'n I get his autograph?

MOM
Leave him be, they look so happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
I’m talking about the original and essential nature of the character as being non-comedic, non-spoof. That’s not the same as being totally devoid of humor. The latter can naturally arise out of certain story contexts (and we might quibble about how flagrant or subtle this should be); the former means that the character and material isn’t taken seriously at all - that they’re the object of intentional ridicule and satire (like the Tick, Stupor Duck or the Ambiguously Gay Duo). Thirdly, no need to cite examples where Supes has, indeed, “jumped the shark” and been reduced to a spoofy version of himself. I know that’s happened; that's what I’m objecting to.
As I've pointed out and even provided many examples of already, the original Superman was really not non-comedic. Jerry Siegel's original Superman showed a comedic sense of humor, toyed with criminals comically. I don't object to Superman having a sense of humor. I don't object to the comedic Mister Mxyztplk, either. He’s an amusing little character if you have a healthy sense of humor and are not overserious. Jerry Siegel created that character, too, way back in 1944. I don't object to Superman being the object of comedic ridicule and satire against Mister Mxyztplk, and transformed into some spoofy version by Mister Mxyztplk. In the classic stories, Mister Mxyztplk always inflicted some weird transformation upon Superman or his world. Jerry Siegel created Mister Mxyztplk as a ridiculing comedic pest that tries to make a mockery of Superman and Metropolis until Superman outsmarts him.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Release date unknown. Needs finishing funds for new filming of scenes from the Superman script, etc.

FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters now.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 03-04-2013 at 07:19 PM.
theMan-Bat is online now   Reply With Quote