Thread: Superman Lives!
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #260
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Superman Lives!

I didn't care for Bryan Singer's Superman Returns at all!...but that's another topic for another thread.

Back to Tim Burton's Superman Lives...

It's up to $95,413 right now for The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? documentary.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-what-happened

"If Superman Lives had come out, I think it would have been a giant hit," filmmaker Jon Schnepp told the Huffington Post. "This movie would have been a departure and completely different from what we're used to from Superman and superhero lore."

"They put a lot of money into Superman Lives," Tim Burton told the Huffington Post in an interview published in January. "What's interesting is if we had been able to make the movie the way we wanted to back then -- like Batman all those years ago; there was always a bit of controversy. Like, 'Oh, it's too dark.' It's like, well, now it looks like a light-hearted romp."

"We were trying to explore the more human side of the character and get into that whole thing," Burton explained.

"I want to find out why this was stopped, because I think it was a great idea," Schnepp said.

"(Joel Schumacher's) Batman & Robin f--ked sh-t up," Schnepp said, bluntly. "It kicked every comic book in the f--king balls."

"If (Tim Burton's) Superman came out in 1998 when it was supposed to -- (Bryan Singer's) X-Men didn't come out until 2000. How would that have affected X-Men? How would that have affected a lot of Marvel movies? How would that have affected the further adventures of Batman? Michael Keaton was scheduled to make a reappearance as Bruce Wayne in Burton's Superman Lives. Who knows what that could have spawned?" Schnepp said. "I think it would have changed the landscape for superhero films quite a bit. So much so that we wouldn't have had a Christopher Nolan Batman reboot. We would have probably had some other kind of Batman reboot. It might have been a Frank Miller reboot."

"It's not negative toward Warners," he said. "It's more of a larger idea: things that could have been, that didn't exist, that were almost ready to go and how I want to see that now and didn't get the chance. I want to tell the story of why this thing was created this way."

Here are two more interviews with Jon Schnepp about Superman Lives.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"I want to show how negativity destroys creativity. This fear was born in the voice of the fans, who become overprotective of a character. If the internet exited back in 1988 as it does today, Batman never would have been made. The fan outcry about a comedian to play Batman, early photos would have been leaked online that looked weird. Producers second guess creativity over fan outrage. Fan outrage doesn't compute when they don't know what's going on and haven't seen the film." - Jon Schnepp.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Jon Schnepp ‏@JonSchnepp
Tim Burton knows about my doc, and sounds positive! Looking forward to talking with him about it!!!

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package.

FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 09-02-2013 at 09:16 PM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote