View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #96
RustyCage
Come what may..

Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
And yet they did.

At the end of the day, its a small sign of respect for the source material.

There's not really a story need to call Bane "Bane"...but they did.
And if they didn't? What then? Are they 'disrespecting' it? That's such an irrational conclusion to draw.

So what if they did name a couple of villains? They didn't have to, and the point would still be clear in many cases. I feel that while The Joker and Bane make the respective characters more ominous (largely because they don't have real identities underneath as Selina and Dent do), there are times when giving them a name does not have that effect, and is more of just a cute gimmick.

Catwoman is one of those cases. Two-Face at least was explained as a nickname based on his reputation. And even so, they don't go around calling him "TWO-FACE!! Hey, put down the gun, Two-Face!" for the rest of the movie (looking at you, Batman Forever). They still call him Harvey.

'I'm Batman' has always kind of bugged me too, to be fair. I like the idea of thugs and the mob referring to him as that once rumors spread and people have recognized his theme. He doesn't name himself, but the streets do. His reputation names him, and he just kind of accepts it.

Similarly, 'Scarecrow' was introduced in this way. Crane has a scary mask, and his victims moan about what it reminds them of while they quake in fear under the effect of his toxin. He doesn't name himself either.

When Crane says 'it's the Batman', it feels like he's referring to such a process, like he's talking about fearful whispers amongst the underworld. Unfortunately, the effect was already undermined at the docks with Falcone.

When you go 'I'm Batman', it eschews that cool aspect and drags the audience back into cartoon territory.

That, obviously, throws off the momentum of Begins for me - that sense of 'THIS is a superhero movie I can take seriously and get lost in without things getting hammy. They have re-invented Batman to be something dark and steeped in reality.'

It's only momentary, but yeah. The film's heart misses a beat.

You could take the 'her reputation names her' approach to Catwoman as well, but it's more likely that they'd just refer to her as a cat burglar than come up with a counterpart name to Batman.

Even so, I'd have taken that over 'I am Catwoman! Hear me roar!!'

Last edited by RustyCage; 03-05-2013 at 02:05 PM.
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote