View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #331
fangz
Side-Kick

Default Re: So what DIDN'T we like?

I think it suffered from having to lead into the Avengers.

I've always liked the first half especially and also, Peggy and Cap had a great romantic chemistry, I think easily the best of any Marvel Studios movie so far. So it's bothered me since I realized this, becuz I don't just hope for another version down the road, I actually wish they had done this movie differently. There's too many elements of it that I think are perfect.

Everything about the movie goes perfect, up until Cap splits from the USO to rescue Bucky's unit. I really think what should have happened right there is that the Bucky rescue mission should've been the whole rest of the movie. That one first mission, just give it more substance. Like maybe put Zemo in charge of this place. He's doing genetic experiments there but it's also serving as a detention camp for Allied troops. Red Skull throughout the movie would be more of the background, Darth Sidious, type of character, Zemo more like a Vader.

They could've stretched it out and added some stuff to Cap's journey on the way there. Maybe show him interacting with local villagers around Zemo's base who also had family trapped in there. Just made the whole thing mean more, somehow, especially giving more time to Cap working with Bucky and his soon to be Howling Commandos after he connected with them inside the base and fighting to get out and back to their own camp. There'd be a standoff with Zemo on the way back, maybe Skull could come and save his ass and fight with Cap too. But the end of the movie, we would have Cap, Bucky, the Commandos and the rest of the unit marching back to Tommy Lee Jones and Peggy, triumphant.

Steve Rogers is transformed into Captain America at the end of the movie, basically. Cool part is, he wouldn't even get his proper shield until somewhere during the beginning of the second movie.

I really think this would've been the perfect Cap origin story, if they would've just stuck to one mission and left the whole freezing incident to another movie, if the world was perfect, he'd get frozen in the 3rd Cap movie and this would lead into Avengers.

So I understand why they had to cram everything into one film like this, but, man, it really messed up a great Cap origin film, I think. And also, Winter Soldier is going to suffer for it.

Because, as it is now, I just don't see how we are supposed to care much about Cap and
Bucky's relationship. Even if they add 15 minutes of flashback scenes into the movie, I don't feel like it's going to add up for me into much. Given the constrictions they had tho, I guess the way the movie runs is pretty decent.

The only other gripe I have is the design for a lot of it. And this is easier to forgive and live with but some of the stuff, especially the Hydra lasers, just look like total crap. Like no thought was given towards any way to make them look like they were of a piece with the aesthetics of the rest of the movie.

It looks like early 90's soundstage kind of stuff. Fog machines, inexplicable purple lighting, it just looks like a strip bar. like if you did a WWII battle scene mock up in the middle of a 90's strip bar.

I don't remember the Rocketeer being this ugly, but haven't seen it recently so who knows. There was just a cheapness to the way half the stuff looked in Captain America:TFA, the lasers, Hydra's armor, Red Skull all of that type of stuff.

Cap and his shield were great, the acting was great, but what a weird movie that was unforunately not weird enough in certain ways, just kinda stuck in between.

All that said, I loved the movie and thought it was better than Thor and Iron Man 2 overall.

fangz is offline   Reply With Quote