View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #31
Octoberist
point blank

Default Re: Will there ever be a good Transformers movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland2002 View Post
I haven't seen Fast Five, nonetheless, I'd like to watch it sometime on DVD.

I would like to see much more engaging stories as well for Transformers and more faithful designs (looking at the Dreamwave and IDW comics) as well as even some fan art, I thought the potential to have robots more similar to their original designs could work well.

You mentioned the Marvel films, and I will say I thought the Iron Man films provided a good example on how to execute a look to the character very similar to the comics' designs, and yet having excellent aesthetics and design choices (such as the darkening of the red and gold) of Iron Man's Mark II armor.

Also with regards to the Marvel films (Thor, Iron Man films, Incredible Hulk, etc.) were done well.

I watched the Avengers five times in the theater.
The designs used for the Transformers movies are gaudy. Extremely gaudy. They're overly designed while the original designs and the art from Dreamwave and IDW are great templete to use. In fact, it felt like Bay was trying to reinvent the wheel and put his stamp on the franchise. But the problem to me is that I never get the sense that he truly respects it, hence the designs choices. I mean, Optimus Prime is an extremely well designed character from the get-go, and while the film version stays kinda true, it's NOT an improvement

The film version of Starscream is an example of a character who looked worse than his cartoon/comic/toy version. Totally generic looking.