Thread: Superman Lives!
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #285
batman strikes
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I think you're correct regarding Bane but I think the film makers on Lives knew that Doomsday wasn't an interesting enough villain on his own. Hence why they made him a weapon (of sorts) for Brainiac. Brainiac is your interesting villain whereas his pet is the one who kills Superman. I think there's actually a good story there that you could use in a Man of Steel sequel. Doomsday doesn't have to be a pet, he could be a being that Brainiac discovers or even creates.

I just don't know how you make it interesting over two films. The start of the sequel would need big action beats and if you dint have Superman returning until about halfway through i just think it could drag. Maybe if they went with a trilogy in the Death Arc and do:

- The Death of Superman
- Reign of the Supermen
- The Return of Superman (Superman Lives)

I think you'd have to do a Reign of the Supermen film in between cause you certainly can't do a whole film on the World without a Superman. This way you have a full on film with other heroes this would by time and fill in the action beats for Superman's returns in the final film. This would be perfect to release using The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit formula where you release each film at Christmas a year apart.

Alternatively I think you could do two films if you had Supergirl in the story.

But I still feel you could tell it successfully over one film but I think you'd need a minimum of 2 hours 45 mins runtime like the Dark Knight Rises had.
You bring up a lot of good points. I also agree that the third film would drag if you didn't bring Superman back until 30 minutes into the film. I think the best way to solve this problem is introduce Supergirl or Superboy or even Steel. Of course for a film you would have to choose one or the other so you don't get bogged down with too many characters.

I do like the idea of Doomsday being something Brainiac had collected or created. That's why I was thinking Doomsday could be kind of last resort for Brainiac at the end of the second film. One things for sure if they did do this story arc you would need at least 2 hrs 45 minutes to tell the story well.

batman strikes is offline   Reply With Quote