View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #160
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: What was Mark Waid's issues with the 1986 retelling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
I can tell you flaws of his stories, lots of them, that virtually everyone who's slightly objective will understand.
Go ahead. Try to point out flaws in every one of his stories issue by issue, and try not to exaggerate and confuse opinion with facts.

Quote:
Yeah yeah, Sleez also says that under hypnosis you cannot do anything you do not truly want. So apparently Big Barda had no problems ****ing people on camera even before the new actor, Superman, was presented.

It's just disgusting.
Where does it say in the comic that Big Barda actually had sex with anyone? It doesn't.

Quote:
Big Barda is also based on Jack Kirby's wife.
I doubt Jack Kirby had a problem with Superman giving Big Barda a hug and a kiss.

Quote:
It's pretty retarded, especially when you want to do "modern" and less "silly". But Byrne's stories are full of stuff like that. In many ways Byrne's stories were in no way more "realistic" than the pre-crisis days.
Byrne obviously wasn't trying to make everything realistic and remove all things silly and comedic from Superman. Byrne actually had Golden Age/Silver Age style craziness in his run, particularly in the Superman vs. Mister Mxyzptlk issues. He included character driven humor. In the classic stories, Mister Mxyztplk always inflicted some weird transformation upon Superman or his world. Jerry Siegel created Mister Mxyztplk as a ridiculing comedic pest that tries to make a mockery of Superman and Metropolis until Superman outsmarts him.

Quote:
Fact is, the post-crisis relaunch was just a failure in the short (bad stories) and the long run (damaging Superman forever).
I completely disagree, and besides your opinion of his Superman stories, how exactly is Byrne's 1986-1988 run damaging Superman forever when everything he did was reverted many years age?

B i R D M A N
In theaters now.

Better Call Saul
On AMC in February.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 03-09-2013 at 10:03 PM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote