View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #107
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Default Re: MCU Phase 2 Box Office/Budget Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I believe all phase 2 films will see a boost on their gross because of the Avengers and the fact I believe they will be better films than their phase 1 counterparts. However, Cap was one of the less memorable characters in the Avengers, his movie doesn't have as much to offer as Thor's 9 realm hopping adventure, and overseas he's just not going to be as popular as Iron Man or Thor, which makes me think his second movie will do at most $450m, which is still a bonafide blockbuster.
I disagree that Captain America was one of the less memorable characters in Avengers. He had the most screen time (Yes, even more than RDJ), was the first Avenger shown, gave everyone their orders in the final battle and had a lot of meaningful and memorable scenes. I also disagree that Cap 2 has less to offer than the other phase 2 films. That's like saying a Batman movie has less to offer than a Superman/Flash/GL/WW movie, and even if that's true, the general audience and studio execs haven't seen it that way thus far. I'd bet money that Captain America will gross 500M+ and more than GotG, especially if the movie looks action packed. This is coming from someone who's looking forward to GotG than most people on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Overseas he's just not going to be as popular as Iron Man or Thor, which makes me think his second movie will do at most $450m, which is still a bonafide blockbuster.
The First Avenger made $15m more oversees than it did domestically, and typically franchise sequels tend to go up higher oversees than they do domestically. Iron Man to Iron Man 2 for example. or TDK to TDKR. Both of those sequels made less domestically than their predicessors and still made more worldwide due to a big overseas boost. But even if you simply keep the ratio the same rather than factoring in the inevitable big oversees rise, and add the incalculable but certainly guessable Avengers boost (Which in my opinion is about $100m both domestically and overseas) that should put it well over $450m anyway. At LEAST $500m (That is if doesn't suck). If you factor in the modern setting, multiple returning Avengers characters, and the mere awesomeness of the Winter Soldier story line however, it could potentially go even higher.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 03-08-2013 at 10:19 PM.
JB-the-Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote