View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
milost
Banned User

Default Re: What Nolan does poorest. Villain Endings

Yeah, Batman throws him over after he shoots the gauntlet baldes at Joker's face. He couldn't let the Joker get the last laugh, as much as he wanted to see him go. That's one of the things the Joker wanted. He would have been deliberately killing the Joker in that respect. There was nothing remotely "accidental" about shooting him in the face and throwing him backward.

Ra's on the other hand is a bit different, it's not so cut and dry. It's not like Batman is there, throwing Ra's off the monorail like he had done to the Joker. Then again, it is sort of deliberate and murky territory. Batman planned on stopping the train by force, even before his confrontation with Ra's. So he knew it was going to get derailed and crash (he told Gordon what to do), even before the controls are ever damaged. It was sort of cold and un-Batman like (if you're the kind of person that prefers a comic version of Batman that saves criminals that are in danger) for him to just let Ra's die in a wreck he caused, even if Ra's tried to kill him before, even after Bruce had previously saved him. I guess that's why a lot of people have a problem with the whole "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you".

So he sort of does kill Ra's.

He definitely killed Dent though, breaking his one rule. For me, it makes it deeper. Jimmy Gordon is way more important than the "one rule", he's an innocent child being threatened by a mad man. It's sort of bitter irony that Batman does Dent in, after everything that happened in the film. You can see the anguish in Batman's face, especially after he looks at Dent and gets up and looks back up from where they fell. Like thinking about taking the blame is the least he could do for Dent after "letting that murdering psychopath blow him half to hell" (and the fact that Dent did the same for Batman a day or two earlier). It wasn't just for Dent either, but for Rachel as well.

Last edited by milost; 03-09-2013 at 09:09 PM.
milost is offline   Reply With Quote