View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #122
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Favorite Spider-Man film so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I agree that SM1 will always be seen as more of a milestone, because it was. But I don't think 20 years from now that will make it universally favored over Webb's. I think 20 years from now, people will still be just as divided over which version they prefer as they are now, even as they acknowledge SM1's significance in the superhero genre.

Just as there are people like myself who acknowledge and appreciate Superman: The Movie's significance in cinematic history but never cared for that incarnation (that will never be my Superman...and there hasn't even been a new cinematic incarnation to replace it yet), so will be the way with Raimi's Spider-Man, imo. TASM won't be remembered like SM1 because the circumstances surrounding its release were entirely different, but it certainly won't be forgotten, either. Especially since we already know its getting sequels and therefore marked the beginning of its own big-budget franchise, a franchise which will inevitably be the Spider-Man trilogy for a whole new generation.
In the age of reboots, the people 20 years from now will probably be more interested in whatever new franchise reboot they do then, and be less concerned about SM1 vs TASM. It's a relevant debate now only because we have 2 generations growing up with different Spider-Man origin films. I don't see this debate being much of a thought 20 years from now. But, I do think whatever Spidey film comes out during that time will likely be compared more with SM1 than TASM because it was the Superman: The Movie of superhero films of our time.

But, that also brings me back to my point on this whole TASM vs SM1 thing. People are arguing over which was better. Honestly, the one people grew up with 9 times out of 10 is what they willl prefer. I grew up with SM1. I enjoy it more. Now, I do appreciate certain elements of TASM over SM1, but in general, SM1 wins with me (and for the purpose of my point, I am ignoring all the reasons I legitimately feel SM1 is a superior film). Someone like, 8 years younger than me prob likes TASM. I know this isn't a perfect system, but I think it is more accurate than many of the poll metrics people are giving. Just look at Star Wars, few people who grew up with the OT prefer the prequels. The prequels tend to be preferred only by the younger generation of Star Wars fans that feel the effects suck, etc. We like what engages us as we develop. Sure tastes mature, but in general, nostalgia/development will always come into play on issues like this.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote