View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The Joker (The Dark Knight) vs. Bane (TDKR)

It's funny that the default way for Batman fans to assess a villain's quality in the movies is almost by their virtues or likability. People loved that the Joker and Ra's spoke "truth" and used it as ammunition for their cause (though Bane does the same in a more cynical way).

That's all well and good, but sometimes it's okay for a bad guy to be unlikable. That's what Bane was to me. He had that streak of charisma, he was impressive in what he was capable of, but there was something appalling about the guy where you just desperately wanted to see Batman get even and kick his ass. And that's why I didn't even mind having the film deflate his "legend" a bit towards the end. The monster turns out to not quite be all he's cracked up to be. In the end, he's just a man.

The Joker, for all the evil he represented...let's be honest, we all love to see him work. He's just a fun character and it's fun to see him get the upper hand on everyone around him, despite how horrifying it is (and IT IS)

Bane was a villain you could really hate, but at the same time the film showed us glimpses of his damaged humanity which made him feel all the more real. And Hardy did add an element of fun to Bane with the voice, which is always a hoot to imitate. But overall there's just a sense of pure dread when it comes to Bane. Because he is ultimately Bruce Wayne's evil doppleganger in the film. And there's nothing cute or fun about that. It means war.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 03-13-2013 at 12:55 AM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote