View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #95
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Default Re: Howard says that not getting to Reprise his Ironman role killed his career!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
Well I was mad when Marvel and Norton couldn't agree on him coming back! haha he's one of my favorite actors so it was a bummer when he wasn't coming back, then Avengers came along and Ruffalo was pretty good. I still have a hard time seeing him in the same exact movie as Norton's Hulk though..
I'm still mad. While Ruffalo is a great actor and brought a lot to the role, I think Norton would have been just as stellar thanks to Whedon's script and direction. The crazy idea of Norton and Downey appearing together in an Avengers movie was something I had been anticipating since Norton was cast in 2007, and given how Whedon wrote Stark and Banner's interactions in the Avengers, it would have been so fantastic to have kept Norton through it all. Just a big missed opportunity IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
I don't think he would have been a very good bruce banner in avengers
I think he would have. Norton as Bruce Banner is still one of my favorite casting decisions in the superhero movie era, right up there with RDJ as Tony Stark and JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
It's hard to say, but it would have been different than what we got with Ruffalo, and I can't immagine it being better. To me the best live performances of Banner have been Bill Bixby (still my favorite to date), and then Ruffalo.
I can. Look at Black Widow. The same actress is almost unrecognizable between how BW was written in IM2 and how Whedon wrote her in The Avengers. I think a similar type of leap would have happened for Norton's Banner. People point to Ruffalo's performance as "delightfully understated, quietly cynical, etc." And to me, that sounds exactly like what an actor like Norton would have been able to deliver. If only Norton's passion for the role (see the features in the TIH dvd) had translated into him being more compromising rather than uncompromising...

As for Howard, I thought he was miscast as Rhodey in the first place, but I get why they cast him at the time.

Last edited by spideymouse; 03-13-2013 at 02:23 PM.
spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote