View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #173
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: What was Mark Waid's issues with the 1986 retelling?

Drawn like a stereotypical Jew? Grossman isn't depicted with any stereotypically Jewish things as a yamaka or a full bushy beard, or saying "Oy vey," etc. Are glasses and a goatee stereotypically Jewish? No. People of many races wear glasses and goatee.

A lot of the surnames that sound Jewish to some people are simply German names such as Grossman. Grossman is actually an ancient German surname of medieval origins. Recorded in many forms including Gros, Gross, Grosse, Groz, Groos, all meaning big or large, and was given as a surname to a large person, and compounds based upon Gross such as Grossbauer (Big farmer), Grooskopf (Big head), Grosman, Groseman and Grossman (the friend of Gross), Grossnickel (big Nicholas), this was a name of medieval origins. It was in most cases a name which may have originally meant literally what it says, or as in the case of Grossman for instance could indicate either a big man, or more likely a friend or servant of a person called Gross. Compound surnames were not necessarily descriptive at all, they were often purely ornamental. As such they were given either to refugees from foreign parts, Germany being considered for centuries the most liberal part of Europe, or sometimes to people who had a common name like Schmit or Schmidt.

"TruerToTheCore," I am sure everyone is well aware of you're opinion of John Byrne's comics by now. Repeatedly posting harassingly inflammatory, hostile comments to know fans of the material you repeatedly bash and call "total ****", etc. is essentially trolling. And again, you are acting like you're opinions are facts. Obviously, as you must already know, I and the others disagree with you're opinion. No amount of hostile comments is going to change that, yet you have continued posting inflammatory, hostile comments with the apparent goal of trying to provoke people into an angry flame war.

B i R D M A N
In theaters now.

Better Call Saul
On AMC in February.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote