View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Default Re: Fox's Shared Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Because its had most of those things at one time or the other in the past before, too. It still fizzled. Hell, Justice League: Mortal had all of that, a full cast, and filming to start, too; it was cancelled mere weeks before filming.
First, mentioning a planned JL movie doesn't help your point much seeing as WB has never been able to get that movie off the ground. Fox has made 2 FF films; WB and Fox two totally different studios. But off of that people keep forgetting that Fox HAS TO make this film now or the rights will soon revert back to Marvel. And as much as everyone wants, hopes, dreams that won't happen. Fox has already proven they want the FF franchise by not giving it back to Marvel when they asked for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
There are some very solid reasons why reasonable people believe this FF reboot will either not get made or will fail miserably at the box office if FOX continues on this path. I posted a few of them on another thread.

I simply don't see how this film becomes a box office success. For the first FF films, Fox experienced a significant drop off (12.5% per Box Office Mojo) in worldwide box office with the sequel, despite a 30% budget increase. Add in the inevitable reboot decrease of 15% or so, the lack of merchandising revenue, and the outlook is looking grimmer. Then you add in the increased production costs of a CGI Thing, a Negative Zone, and simply to keep the reboot from being as cheap looking as the initial duology.

Then you add to this a release date just 56 days before the Avengers and the film is going to be buried in A2 hype. Only the most ardent fans are going to see two Marvel superhero team up films within two months, and a large number of those fans are upset the FF doesn't get to play with their pals in the MCU. You add to that toxic mix a very green, although talented director, and this has the makings of a disaster. Hopefully FOX realizes this soon and Disney/Marvel and FOX can reach a deal to reboot the FF in their rightful film universe.
These people didn't say it would fail they said it probably won't happen at all which in my response see above ^^^.
And if this movie is good people will go see it not just fanboys. I guess I'm not as pessimistic as the rest about this film. With the right script and Matthew Vaughn helping out Josh Trank can turn this into an epic franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
Agree. A Fox Shared Universe has EVERYTHING in place to rival Marvel's success. Solo films with rich characters are everywhere in the X-Men Universe. As mentioned in the 90's in the books, it was X-Men on top with Spider-Man. The Avengers were relegated to b-list verge of cancellation books.

They need to flush perception of those other FF movies the way the WB flushed Batman & Robin. FF done right will turn on enough of the box office juice.

I can see Fox using their ace very fast and that's Galactus. He can be the global threat that brings the X-Men and FF together. It can also introduce the Shi'ar and Skrulls. If Guardians of the Galaxy hits, Fox will have the option of spinning X-Men off in to space.
I agree, Fox should definitely focus a lot of their attention on expanding the X-Verse first. Like I said before they should wait years before doing a FF/X-Men team-up film which I'll reiterate once again for the masses, it can be done as it's been done in the comics before. I never said it should be done every few years like Marvel is doing it just once could be enough. If they just want people to know the films are in the same universe a short cameo Fury in IM1 style scene is enough.