View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #41
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default Re: Will there ever be a good Transformers movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Quickly checks the All time box office top ten.
Yup, financial success is definitely has nothing to do with crowd pleasing movies, the only films that make money are the lowest common denomination fare. If anything consistent success in a franchise is a sign of a bad film.
I think the sucess of Honey Booboo and Jersey Shore would prove my point of something being popular not always being good.

Sure there are some popular films that are good, but I reject the notion that just because something is popular that it is good.

Quote:
Hyperbole is this properties best friend.. If you don't see a "coherent plot" you must have watched the film with the sound off...You may want to avoid almost anything from Terrance Malick. Or that little 2009 space odyssey movie.

In these movies we have plot points that come out of nowhere, bad scene transitions, characters with motives that make no sense and plot points that make no sense what so ever (like the fact in the second film they were able to cover up the existence of alien robots, when they had a huge fight in the middle of an American city, there would have been footage of them on the web and in the news media withing minutes, no way could the government have covered that up.) Michael Bay is not David Lynch, he isn't trying to make some statement with this non sense, its just bad directing.

Quote:
Define "interesting characters," I mean not every character is going to be the lead from old boy, but what is "interesting" to you may not be the same to other people.
Characters who grow, develop, learn something, have more then one dimension.

Quote:
Prime, in all his self sacrificing noble leadership and monologues, hardly seemed like an ass hole to many people, even many of the stringent haters of this film have been slow to critique his characterization in such a way.
Well I found many things to dislike about him, in the beginning of the second film, he has a Decepticon at his mercy and he kills him. How is that noble? Killing in the heat of battle is one thing, but he murdered someone who was helpless, he killed in cold blood. In the real world that would be considered a war crime.

Also in the third Movie, Prime let the Decepticons kill thousands of people in Chicago, in order to teach the government a lesson. How is that noble? That is psychopathic. It would be like if Spider-Man decided because the daily Bugle is making him unpopular, he will do nothing and let Carnage kill a thousand people, in order to teach the people of NYC a lesson. That is not noble.

Quote:
As for your description of Sam. That sounds more like Henry the 8th or even Tony Stark and Thor pre typical marvel character growth arc. The question is, what's wrong with a movie about an "interesting" character...not every movie is about a saint with their **** together, just look at Raging Bull.
The key difference between Tony Stark and Thor and Sam is the first two have actual character arcs where they become better people, Sam has none of that. He has almost no development, he is the same piss-ant from start to finish.

Comparing Transformers to raging Bull is also ridiculous, Raging Bull was a character study of a man who could have been a contender but allowed his jealous, rage and lack of impulse control destroy his athletic career, there is no character study with Sam, he is not a tragic figure or a heroic one, he is just an annoying snot nosed brat and the script expects me sympathize with him, when it gives me no reason to.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote