View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #768
Crimson King
Throwing shade

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I'd be willing to bet this is an internet fake. Even if it turns out to be real, it's lazy-ass 'Shopping of all the previous posters. Lame-ville.

Regarding all the controversy about the spoiler du jour:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Mandarin was never going to be the *real* Big Bad in this story anyway. We knew that from the start. Hell, this movie went into production with The Ghost as the main villain (whatever happened to...?), and Feige and Black adamantly denying that Mandarin would ever be part of it, because he's a racially offensive character.

Something changed along the way, but the way they saw fit to bring Mandarin into the story was by actually playing on the racial stereotype and making Mandarin too blind (or too dumb) to realize he's just creating a pastiche of pop-culture bad guys. Take one part Fidel Castro, one part Osama bin Laden, one part Che Guevara, one part Sun Tzu, mix 'em all up in a blender and you've got Mandarin.

I understand why Mandarin fans (are there really such creatures....? I've never really heard of them before) are incensed about their beloved Fu Manchu stereotype getting nerfed and sweded to ultimately become an object of the audience's ridicule and scorn, but I *don't* understand why some of you are upset that Killian has been completely rewritten as the brains behind the outfit. Again, this is setting AIM up to be a force to be reckoned with in future films. AIM makes sense as a recurring enemy group for the Avengers --- as a team and as solo components --- to face. It *doesn't* make sense to make a run-of-the-mill bunch of Middle Eastern terrorists to become the go-to "Nazis" of the MCU. That's passe, and doesn't fit into a cinematic world that is increasingly being populated by supers both good and evil.
Here's my problem with it:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
First of all, we still don't *know* that Killian is the big bad. It's still just a rumor.

Anyway, Feige and Black's comments about Mandarin don't do anything but justify his change in image. He went from the racist Fu Manchu to a more believable modern day villain. It's wrong to assume that making him the lead villain means recycling Middle Eastern terrorist cliches. First of all, we don't know where he's supposed to be from. He could be from Mongolia for all we know. Second, having your non-Western villain outsmarted by whitey and his tech gadgets has already been done in IM1. Do they really need to repeat that scenario? I hope they don't. It's lazy.

My biggest problem with the whole rumored bait and switch is that it absolutely destroys Iron Man's greatest nemesis. I don't care if he's a badass for MOST of the movie. This is his introduction, much like CA:TFA was Red Skull's and Thor was Loki's. If he's outsmarted, manipulated, or otherwise controlled by a villain like Killian, it kills any future threat level. He's no longer nemesis status and goes straight down to B-level hood. THAT'S my main worry. People would scream bloody murder if Joker or Lex or Loki got used in such a way their first time out. Mandarin is Iron Man's most well-known villain. Treat him that way.

Recent guest appearances on The Hodgepodge Podcast to discuss 75 years of Batman and CA:TWS