View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #118
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Who says Fox owns the Skrulls outright? Does Fox own those character/alien race outright along with the FF team,Doom Galatus and the Surfer? Being Marvel has Namor, The Inhumans and Black Panther (All originating for the Lee/Kirby era of the FF) who says they even have rights to FF characters and villains outside of the aforementioned? I think that in itself is a big bargaining chip to restructure the original 1994 movie licensing deal concerning the FF at least.
The only characters I am certain FOX has the rights to use are the ones I have actually seen on the screen. In the case of the Skrulls, I am assuming FOX has some rights to the characters as we've seen Super-Skrull Johnny Storm in the FF sequel.

To me, the big bargaining chip for Marvel is that although a well-made FF reboot will be quite costly, it's difficult to see how a reboot will outgross the $330,000,000 (per Box Office Mojo) earned by the first film back in 2005. With additional revenue streams from merchandise, video games and the like Disney/Marvel likely can justify this risk. I don't see FOX reaching this same conclusion.