View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #118
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Who says Fox owns the Skrulls outright? Does Fox own those character/alien race outright along with the FF team,Doom Galatus and the Surfer? Being Marvel has Namor, The Inhumans and Black Panther (All originating for the Lee/Kirby era of the FF) who says they even have rights to FF characters and villains outside of the aforementioned? I think that in itself is a big bargaining chip to restructure the original 1994 movie licensing deal concerning the FF at least.
The only characters I am certain FOX has the rights to use are the ones I have actually seen on the screen. In the case of the Skrulls, I am assuming FOX has some rights to the characters as we've seen Super-Skrull Johnny Storm in the FF sequel.

To me, the big bargaining chip for Marvel is that although a well-made FF reboot will be quite costly, it's difficult to see how a reboot will outgross the $330,000,000 (per Box Office Mojo) earned by the first film back in 2005. With additional revenue streams from merchandise, video games and the like Disney/Marvel likely can justify this risk. I don't see FOX reaching this same conclusion.