View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #377
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Default Re: The North Korean Situation II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
It was random number. Its value is irrelevant to the point I was making which is that there is a line that when crossed our government would begin shifting assets East. They haven't done it yet that I have seen.

Speaking to your point, I'm not sure what the current administration would do, but they cant evacuate all of California regardless of the percentage. They would get valuable assets out, and leave the rest to the missile shield. As for a stand-off, we are already doing that with UN sanctions, and our military is already posted in the pacific and we currently shifting more of our forces over there. So it is obviously above a 1% chance they will launch at us.
(A) they lack the capacity to hit California with any kind of missile right now (although I can't speak for five years down the line). I think currently there's a 0% chance of California getting hit by North Korean missiles. I just don't think their missiles have that kind of long-range capability. Hawaii on the other hand? I'm not sure.

(B) I wouldn't say the current UN sanctions constitute a "stand-off." Things could get a LOT more serious. Although the B52s that were buzzing near the DMZ for those drills were a bit worrisome.