View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #95
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: 20th Century Fox upcoming Big Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Right on. I'm not sure why some here are resistant to the idea of the X-Men being recast with younger, more accurate representations of their favorite characters. Why not "get it right" like everyone else is doing with their franchise? Why settle for this alternate universe for the mutants when clearly the movie going audiences are primed and ready for more sci-fi level fantasy?

This is not 1999, 2000 where CMB properties were mostly jokes and studios were cautious about investing $$$ in them. Audiences now have willingly embraced the true fantastical nature of sophisticated comic book films. If they can eat up Thor and Thanos, they are ready for the REAL Dark Phoenix--raptor and all. I don't know why some of you want to hold on to this old s***.
I'm not at all opposed to the idea of recasting.

But it's worth saying that the existing movies do have a very good, memorable cast of solid, well-known actors and it's a brave move to dump all that - McKellen, Stewart, Jackman, Berry, Paquin, Fassbender, Lawrence, McAvoy, etc.

X-Men: First Class was an ideal chance for a reboot, but they chose not to bring in the Original Five team and instead tied it to the original trilogy and made some odd character choices (like an Angel who wasn't the Angel we all know). However, linking FC to the OT means they can now do DoFP because they have a past and a future cast already created.

I've been wondering if one possibility is that DoFP will end up being a reboot that leaves us with McAvoy, Fassbender, Hoult and new versions of Jean, Scott, Iceman and Angel, or even adding in new young versions of Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Gambit. But I'm not sure Fox would do this. With Singer back on X-Men, I'm not sensing a full start-from-scratch reboot any time soon.

I think the only full reboot that would work would be one done by Marvel/Disney. Only then would it have the comic book acccuracy, Avengers-sized budget and reassuring Marvel name to get excellent fan buzz and ensure it would be a success with new actors less well known than Mckellen, Fassbender, Stewart, McAvoy, Lawrence, Berry, Jackman, etc.

Fox will likely rely on Singer and its current roster of actors as selling points for the films, whereas Marvel relies on its solid brand name as the publisher of the comics - now backed by the massive clout of Disney which is already proceeding apace with new Star Wars movies (nixing Fox's own 3D re-releases in the process).