View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #953
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Default Re: The President Obama Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
The problem with defense cuts is the first thing they seem to do is cut supplies and benefits for the troops. The marines have already said that current soldiers will have supplies but due to the sequester cuts anyone who joins after this will have to make do and they can't guarantee all equipment and armor will be available. That is unacceptable imo. Even more so when you factor in congress's ridiculous pay and benefits.

Defense cuts shouldn't endanger our troops which is what always seems to happen. Buddy of mine had to purchase his own armor because the military said it wasn't their problem! I'd like to see these congressmen go into battle with no armor. See how long they last before they **** their pants.
Two places Defense spending should cut in my opinion

1. The US doesn't need so many military bases around the world. Pick and choose some bases in countries that don't really need them(ie I understand why you might want a base in Japan and South Korea(ie to keep an eye on China and North Korea), but is it really necessary to have so many in Germany and the rest of Europe?)

2. Stop building tanks(or any other vehicle) for the sake of building tanks. The US has a big yard of tanks built 5-10 years ago that were never used and are deemed out of date so they just go on building more and sell the older tanks to other countries for pennies on the dollar.

Beyond that when it comes to military missions try get other countries to pay their fair share and don't think you are the policeman of the world and can do everything by yourself. One reason alot of other countries defense budget is so low is because the US is more then happy to spend money to do their dirty work as long as that country gives them free access to their country. General rule of thumb in business is when you do the dirty work for somebody they should pay you, not you do the dirty work and foot the bill for it.

Last edited by SV Fan; 03-24-2013 at 11:09 PM.