Re: What are your top 5 "first in the series" superhero movies?
1. Superman the Movie 9.5/10 - still my favourite movie of all-time no film has the magic this one has to me. Its pretty much the perfect origin story and it set up the rest that followed. Although I think Man of Steel may top it nothing will take away my nostalgic view of this film.
2. Batman Begins 9/10 - again pretty much a perfect origin story and in my opinion the best Batman movie of them all. Bale will forever be my live-action Batman (Keaton's a close second mind).
3. The Amazing Spider-man 8.5/10 - gone was the cheesyness of the Raimi movies and finally the right actor for Peter Parker Spider, who also had great chemistry wih Gwen and finally a Spidey that wise-cracks. It had it all, in terms of tension and action and in my opinion a great villain. Only thing stopping me giving it a 9 was the stuff they cut out and the film was actually better before he became Spider-man.
4. Captain America: The First Avenger 8.5/10 - I'd waited most of my life for a Captain America movie (the 90s movie does not count) and finally I got it. Chris Evans was perfect as Steve Rogers, they couldn't have cast him any better. The Red Skull is one of my favourite comic villains so to see him brought to life was brilliant. I also think this film can be one of the only CBMs that can boast that the end fight between hero and villain actually delivers. Only thing stopping this getting a 9 or higher was next to no nazi's. Still I hold out hope that one day down the line we get a Cap film set in the vein of Saving Private Ryan.
5. Batman '89 - 8/10 - I still love this movie, parts have aged badly yes but Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson are both fantastic in this film, there performances draw me in everytime I watch it. The dark gothic tone of the film along with Elfman's score are legendary. Lastly it still has the greatest I'm Batman moment of any film ever.