View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #937
JackWhite
Third Man

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I agree. I don't see the structural problem with Batman coming back twice. In fact that's the whole point of the movie. When he first returns as Batman he's still very broken as Bruce Wayne, and that makes him more of a danger to himself than ever. He pays the price for that. By the end he's returning on his own terms and has already made the decision to move on with his life.

As I've said before, first we see Batman rising from the ashes of a broken Bruce Wayne. Then we see Bruce Wayne rising from the ashes of a broken Batman. It's the whole point of Bruce's arc. He becomes human again.

Just because something is simpler or more streamlined doesn't make it more compelling.
That's how I see it. It's not like Bruce's first retirement was legit, considering he was sidelined because of the Dent Act. For me, Bruce finally having a retirement on his own terms at the end of the film felt justified.

But really this is something you either like or don't like. I remember hearing some people not wanting Bruce to fake his death because they felt another film ending with a lie would not be appropriate, because all truths should come to light by the end of TDKR.