View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #944
JackWhite
Third Man

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah I agree. To me, since Joker is Batman's greatest villain, TDK works as the chunk of the story where Batman is in his prime and his mission becomes infinitely more complex and double-edged than he ever anticipated. That's why I don't even mind that the "rise of the freaks" angle wasn't explored. The Joker is the king of that mountain. It shouldn't have escalated any worse than The Joker from within Gotham, especially after Bats/Gordon deny him of his victory by hiding the truth about Harvey. That's why a threat from outside Gotham felt like a natural way to raise the stakes without undermining the significance of The Joker as the ultimate criminal response to Batman.

As far as I'm concerned, Nolan's trilogy is the only truly complete beginning to end version of the mythos that exists. So by nature some things will be condensed, but the payoff is so worth it. I don't know if we'll ever get a movie series where Batman and The Joker have this rivalry that spans years, unless they reboot in a universe that's already in play with everything established. Most comic book films deal with relatively short timespans.
Yep, even though three films seems like a lot of time; story wise, it really isn't. Especially when you are trying to tell a beginning, middle, and end.

I think a lot of us got lost in that world that TDK setup and began to explore, Bruce in his prime, already on the fly as a fully established Batman, finishing off the old guard of the mob, only to battle the bigger problem - escalation. The rise of the freaks which gave us the Joker, who then spawned Two-Face. I'll admit that TDK is my favorite "angle" that the trilogy tackles, but I'm very glad that Nolan was bold enough to tell a definitive end to Bruce's journey.